Inbound hyperlinks, commonly referred to as backlinks, are links from other websites that lead to yours. Modern search engines track many variables, but one of the most important is the number of backlinks to a website.
The simple tactic to “game the system” is to create waves of junk content that links to a website, providing search engines a false positive that this is a website widely discussed and used; but if your business needs actual customers, leads, or returning clients, this approach can do more harm than good.
Here are five positive, white-hat ways to build a network of backlinks without harming your reputation online, or filling the internet with junk content.
- Maintain a steady flow of high-quality content on your website. This is much more work than casual junk content keyword-stuffing, yes, but it pays in the end. Give people reasons to naturally link to your website. When your content shows up in search results, give users something they actually want to consume. Capitalize on your strengths: which topics are you most interested in blogging about? Do you or one of your employees prefer to create video content? What unique perspectives can you share with the public?
- Link to your business partners. If you work with another business, put out a press release or a blog post about it. Encourage them to return the favor. Everyone you work with outside your business is a potential partner for backlinks. Develop these types of relationships further, and try to mention each other as often as possible, albeit without crossing the line towards needless namedropping.
- Create content for other websites. Write about your business experiences. Follow news related to what you do and comment on it. Find and develop opportunities to have your byline, complete with a link to your business, appear alongside good content.
- Encourage customers to write reviews. Do your customers have great things to say about your business? Find ways to encourage those people to write about it online. Encourage a constant flow of positive comments from real people, which gets you both backlinks, and a more genuine Internet presence.
- Take advantage of social media links. Share on Facebook. Tweet! Make sure the quality content hosted on your site gives users the tools to spread links to it around on social media. If you’re going to put the effort into backlinking the right way, make sure to maximize your highest quality content down to these smaller details.
Building a network of backlinks is not black-hat work by nature. With an eye towards creating great content and building relationships, you can raise the profile of your business on search engines without taking any morally unsound steps. While doing it “right” requires a more meticulous Search Engine Optimization (SEO) plan, the payoff of getting a better ROI per-click, and the natural positive reputation management of putting out good content makes it all worth it.
Interested in maximizing the potential of your business through backlinking the right way? Contact us to learn more about this, and other aspects of SEO.